Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Encouragement in Motherhood

My name is Beckey and I became a mommy 6 years ago.  Like most soon-to-be parents I thought all the talk about how much it would change my life was a bit overblown.  We, of course, would be able to handle the changes smoothly.  Our lives wouldn't change THAT much . . . and then my son was born.  I was not completely prepared for how much I could love him . . . or how much he would actually change our lives.  He was a colic-y baby who cried even more if we tried to take him out with friends and I don't think he slept through the night at all that first year.  On top of all the new parenthood changes, we were living overseas and almost all of my friends had moved back to the States just prior to him being born.  All except one.  Kristin's daughter was born 3 weeks after my son and we became our own Mom's Club.  I thank God every time I think of having her support that first year.  One or the other of us would call in tears not knowing what to do with all the emotions that came that first year and we knew there would be an understanding ear on the other end of the phone.  We enjoyed our baby's firsts together and supported each other during the tough times. 

Since then we have moved several times and have had two more kids.  Each move one of the first things I've done is to look for the local Mom's group.  Not only does it give me a few hours of adult time, but it gives much needed support.  During the tough times of parenting, I am reminded of how quickly these times go.  I hear that other three year-olds can be just as challenging as my own is right now and I get a few good ideas of creative ways to take care of discipline issues.  Being a mommy is a wonderful profession and I am so glad to have a place to help support me in my job.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Amen sister! So glad you joined us!

Diana said...

Thanks for sharing, Beckey! You are encouraging!